It’s occurred to me this week that my ego is larger than I’d thought. It’s prevented me from some seriously fun times. And that’s no way to live. Your ego is basically a stringer together of words. Words that discourage you from speaking up, dancing with unselfconscious fabulousness, and even loving.
Here are some ways I’ve conquered my ego this month:
1. Talking to it. Saying things like, “Dude, shut it. Stop psyching me out. I got this.”
2. Skateboarding. I bought a skateboard online some weeks ago. I’m a total beginner, FYI. The woman I bought it off sensed as much and gave me
some pointers (one leg on the board, bend the knee and get low; use the other to push). After my maiden ride, I realised skateboarding cannot be undertaken with the ego in toll. It mucks with your balance and sucks any semblance of pleasure from the activity. As soon as I step onto the thing, I am completely there, present, not stuck in my thoughts, and it feels like flying. Thus, if your ego’s getting the better of you, invest in a skateboard.
3. Ping pong. Same deal. No-one has time for petty thoughts and pride traps with a paddle in hand.
4. Visualisation. Picture, if you will, a fortune cookie. Now pretend its name is Ego. Put on your chunkiest, bad arse black leather boots. And crush the crap out of that cookie. Following this, go merrily about your day.
5. Acceptance. Allow it to sit in the living room of your mind, but ask that he/she keep it down and not move the furniture around.
6. Do exactly the thing your ego is urging you not to. For example,
EGO: “Don’t compliment that stranger’s hat, she’ll think you strange.”
ACTION: Compliment the crap out of that hat. Because it is AMAZING.
EGO: “Don’t bust a move here. No-one else is dancing and you’ll look a fool”.
ACTION: Dance like it pains you not to dance.
EGO: “Don’t invite her to the movie/party/coffee house. She might say, ‘No’.”
ACTION: Invite. Always invite. There’s a chance she’ll say, “Hells to the yeah”, and you will have a mighty fine eve together.
How do you crackdown on ego?